Skip Navigation Links
Families of Carrigtwohill
Sir James Laurence Cotter 1st Baronet
The Young Sir James
Sir James was educated at Oxford, as were his two brothers, and were Edmond died, aged 21, 16th October 1770.
Then Forty-three years after his father’s execution, his successor, also names James Laurence Cotter, MP for
Askeaton, Limerick, was created a Baronet, 11th August 1763, an hereditary title of Sir awarded
solely by the monarch, as distinct to hereditary peerage title of Sir for a Lord of the realm.
In 1746 he married widowed Arabella Casaubon, daughter and co heir of Lord Chief Justice John Rogerson. This
was when Sir James Laurence acquired the lands and property at Rockforest which would remain the family homeland
until 1916, when it was sold.
Within the “Council Book of the Corporation of The City of Cork” as painstakingly transcribed by Rev Richard
Caulfield, an entry dated, 28th July 1779, may be found for Sir James Lawrence. There was no other
mention of him.
“…. It., that 30 Musquets and 30 Bayonets be lent out of the City Armoury to Sir James Lawrence Cotter, Bart., he passing his Bond to the Mayor for £75 for the safe return of said arms….”
The main Rockforest House of early Georgian design, was
owned by Sir Cotters' grandfather, who was granted the property in 1652, incorporates an earlier Anglo-Norman structure, built
by its original owners, the Roche clan, Barons of Fermoy.
However, the tradition of Cotter internment at Carrigtwohill continued through to at least the mid 1800s. Sir James Laurence
Cotter Bart., M.P., who died, 9th February 1829, was twice married. Firstly, to Anne, who died 1773, only
daughter of Francis Kearney, of Garretstown, near Kinsale. He then married Isabella, daughter of Reverend James Hingston,
of Aglish, who died, 1832. Sir James was also a partner of the banking business of ‘Cotter and Kellett’, Cork City. Both
burials were recorded within St David's parish registers held at the former Public Records Office, Dublin.