Middleton College was founded for the education of young men of the 'Established Church' through an
endowment of Lady Elizabeth Villiers in 1696, opening as a day school, then later also offering
Boarding School facilities. It was the first and only Boarding school in County Cork for young men.
In time they also accepted Catholics.
The Ursuline Order with whom Nano Nagle had originally been associated, established the first Boarding
School in Cork City for daughters of city merchants in January 1772. For more than 100 years theirs was
the only boarding school for young catholic ladies in the county. This was confirmed, when, according to
the Catholic Almanac of 1866, it was the only Boarding School in the entire County of Cork. There were no
Boarding Schools for young men listed.
Within a year of the ‘Poor Servants of the Mother of God’ arrival to Carrigtwohill they had established
their Convent on Chapel Lane
on land gifted them by Father Richard Seymour. Although, they were not a teaching Order, they took on the
responsibility of the education of the young ladies of the village and county of Cork in a ‘Day School’ in
their convent house, and very separate to the mixed Parochial National School established by Richard Seymour
in 1856. English, French, and Music formed the chief subjects of education according to a Cork Examiner article of, 26th July 1876.
By July 1879, as the Convent of St Aloysius, the Sisters began advertising as the ‘Middle Class School
for Girls’, under the patronage of the Bishop of Cloyne, costing eighteen guineas per annum. Middle Class
in this context has nothing to do with class structure, but the age group between Nursery and University
education. Now, English, French and Drawing were taught as additional subjects. The following year it was
being advertised as the ‘Middle Class Boarding School for Girls’.