Boys National School
Site Location & Tendering Process
In 1957 the new Boys' National School (Scoil Mhuire Naofa)
was built to replace the one Father Richard Seymour
built a century earlier. For eighty years his school catered for the need of all the children of the
parish until 1937, when the girls were transferred to their new school erected by Canon Bowler, P. P.
Included within a lease agreement documents held at, Cork City Archives, between Michael Hennessy and
spinsters Mary E Terry and Mary X Terry, 1896, describes the same area in great detail, is Solicitor's
plan of the relevant location lying behind the the school original fronage; bearing no resemblance to any
online OSI mapping system, which abuts the land once owned by Johanna Seymour, granted her upon the death
of her brother, Father Richard Seymour. The lease refers to the area highlighted as, 71, 71A, 71B, and 74A.
71B and 74A now being the property of Carrigtwohill GAA. However, the area along the Main Street marked by
'X' appears to be a separate property not mentioned in the Lease.
The OSI map used for the Griffith’s Valuation of 1852, appears to show a Parochial School in this location.
Then the map of the same area of 1889 seams to show a few cottages. More research is required to properly
identify ownership of this piece of land.
Much difficulty was experienced by the local community to secure a suitable location for the parish’s new school
for the boys. Eventually, after nearly ten years struggle, Father Henry Roche, P. P., was able to procure the plot
of land at the western end of the village, upon which, in May of 1956 construction works began.
In early December 1955, sealed tenders were invited for the erection of a new ational boys’ school at Carrigtwohill
by the ‘Office of Public Works’, Dublin, for the price of £1, refundable upon the return of the documents.
They could also be viewed at Father Henry J. Roche's Parochial house, who was the brother of Bishop James of
Cloyne & Ross, who had a passionate interest in this proposed school project, and brought every pressure to
bear on the authorities for the urgent need for this replacement school. Sadly, the Bishop did not see
the completion of these works, as he had died suddenly at Queenstown, 31st November, the following
The Department of Education contributed 5/6th of the build cost, with the remainder being realised through voluntary contribution
from the local, and neighbouring communities; the construction of which was an entirely local affair whose contract
was awarded to Mr. Barnabas Monahan of Barryscourt, who employed local labour, and was supplied with materials procured within the immediate locality.
Henry Roche died 21 Nov 1957