Down's Survey of Ireland
A general outline
The Irish rebellion
The outbreak of the Irish rebellion, October 1641, was as an attempted coup d'état by the Irish Catholic gentry,
in an effort gain control Irish administration, forcing the British government to grant concessions to the
Catholics majority living under British rule. However, the coup failed the following year resulting in ethnic conflict
between native Irish Catholics British Protestant settlers; a conflict known as the Irish Confederate Wars. The
Confederation became a de facto government of most of Ireland, loosely aligned with the Royalist viewpoint. The subsequent
war continued in Ireland until the 1650s, when Oliver Cromwell decisively defeated the Irish Catholics and Royalists; thus
the re-conquering of Ireland.
As a consequence of the failed rebellion, the Down Survey of Ireland, was undertaken between 1656 and 1658; the first
detailed survey of its type anywhere in the world; the objective of which was to fully document all forfeited Irish Catholic
property for redistribution to British Merchant and Loyal soldiers.
Trinity College, Dublin, have brought together for the first time in over 300 years all the surviving maps, digitising them,
to have them available online via their website, frome which the following are extracts.
Downs Survey Map of Cork
It is interesting to note spelling as Carituoghill, and that the townlands fall within coloured borders, with Carrigtwohill
seemingly in the parish of Lisgoold.Although, later it is described as a parish
The Parish of Carigtuoghill
Description of Village
"Is bound on the North with the Parish of Kilquane and part with the Parish of Ballyerany on the East with unforfeited
Lands lying in Several Parishes on the South part with the Parish of Moyessy and part with unforfeited Lands in the same
Parish on the West with the Parish of Cahirlagh and Corke Harbour the nature of the soyle is Arable Meaddowe and good
Pasture and Contayneth these Ensueing Denominations or Townlandes VIZ Ballyshangoule, Ballyreigin Killecleyne Brittstowne
Cloyne Garanesmore Gortnimucky Flahidurgane Ballynsperry Tulleagrin Garranecleyne Woodstock Ballyleary Lackenbeaghy
Labane Carrigan Ballyrichard & Balleaddam no improvement Except ffarme Houses & some Cabins."
It is not necessary to transcribe the entries for the Civil Parish of Carrigtwohill as they are clearly legible. The
last entry “P” denotes the parish owned by Lord Barrimore, and described as Fforestowne, and being today’s Carrigtwohill.
Viscount David Barry (1604–1642) had died by this time, and the Earl of Barrymore was his son, James (1630–1694).