Skip Navigation Links
Families of Carrigtwohill
Cotter of Anngrove
General Background History
It is believed, according to Gibson’s ‘History of Cork’, the anglicised Cotter family name has its origins as Scandinavian
“Kotter” of northern Europe. Upon their arrival in Cork the family of William Cotter, son of Edmond, settled at Coppingerstown
castle, had forfeited his estates as a consequence Irish War of 1641.
A descendant, another Edmond, held conciderable property situated in and around Carrigtwohill, with his principle residence
being Anngrove, formally known as Ballinsperig, with further property interests in Queenstown “the Cove of Cork”.
Edmond was twice married. Firstly, to Elizabeth, daughter of John Connell of Barryscourt, and by her had three sons and three
daughters. He then married Ellen Sarsfield, daughter of Lord Kilmallock, and by her had another three sons and three daughters.
Edmond died in 1660, and is memorialised by an Italian plaque of marble which once was surmounted upon the ancient family vault
within the former Abbey grounds of Carrigtwohill, which now lies beneath driveway between today’s St David’s church
and former Abbey ruins. On the still standing tower of these ruins is where the plaque now resides, reads;
"This monument was erected by Sir James Cotter for himself and his family Anno Domini 1688.
Edmond Cotter of Ballinsperig died A. D. 1660"
Index of Cotter Families
St David's Burial Register
The folllowing is a list of those known to have been buried in Carrigtwohill, and presumably in family vault, as recorded within
St David's burial register once held at the 'Public Records Office', as transcribed by Ffollott, which are now most likely at the National
|8 Aug 1811
|28 Jan 1818
|12 Feb 1829
||Sir J Laurence Cotter Bart.
|8 April 1831
||Rev George Sackville Cotter
|15 Feb 1832
||Relic of Rev. George S
|5 March 1833
||Miss Eliza Cotter
|21 April 1832
||Relic of Sir James Bart.