Families of Carrigtwohill
It has recently been discovered that John Durdin of Glanmire, magistrate for County Cork, who it is
said had fled Norwich with Mary his wife at the outbreak of the Irish rebellion of 1641 had a daughter,
Mary, who was baptised at St George’s, 1649, Norwich. At a date so far unknown, John Durdin returned to
Cork with his family and settled in Carrigtwohill. Yet, it is further stated by Burke, that he was interred
in a vault at Westminster Abbey.
Unless Edmund Cotter of Anngrove had a son Edmund, the account given by Burke’s peerage does not jive with the
date of Edmund’s death in 1660, who is buried in the family vault. Michael Durdin is said to have been born
three years later, and married Edmund’s daughter. This erroneous statement by Burke is further reinforced by
the actual baptismal register entry at St George Colegate Church kindly provided us by the
Norfolk Family History Society. It is difficult to read, but appears to say;
“Mary the daughter of John Durdan/Durdon and Bridget his wife [… ….] the [2 nd day of September]”;
The [bracketed] items are unclear
Durdin of Carrigtwohill
According to Burke’s Peerage, John died at the great age of 108. Burke further tells us John’s namesake
born 1676, married Anne, daughter of Alexander Cole of Innishannon. He died, 1772, aged 96. Michael born
1663 and of Ballmagooley (later to be known as Rockforest), married Anne, daughter of Edmond Cotter of
Innismore, and sister of Sir James Cotter of Anngrove (formally known as Ballinsperrig), Carrigtwohill.
Michael remained in the village naming his property ‘Fontarabia’. Unfortunately, we can find no other
reference to this property. Michael’s Will Proved in 1739 describes him as a ‘Carigtohill Farmer’.
Alexander of Shanagarry, born 1712, married four times, and eventually settled in Huntingdon, Carlow. He
married first Miss Dunscombe of Cork City (Dunscombe's Marsh), but by her there were no children. He then married, 1746, Mary,
daughter of James Duncan of Kilmoon House, Co Westmeath. She died within a few days of giving birth in 1747 to
her only son Richard, who as 4th Baron established Huntington Castle. Alexander next married Anne (née Vaux)
widow of William Penn, grandson of the Pennsylvania Founder. Upon her death Alexander acquired a large
proportion of the Penn Pennsylvania Estate. On her death he lastly married, 28th January 1768, at Rathcooney,
Barbara, 2nd daughter of Warham St Ledger of Heyward’s Hill, and by her had sons; Warham and John.
All the above were buried in Carrigtwohill. Unfortunately, no surviving headstone are to be found marking their
graves. Yet, the JCHAS annual of 1908 in their biography
of Admiral Penn tells us of a passage which appeared in the ‘Journal of the Memorials of the Dead Association,
Ireland’, 1905 the following headstone inscription.
“This tombstone is erected by John Durdin in memory of his father, Michael Durdin, his wife and brothers; also
John Durdin’s wife and sons, and for himself whensoever it shall please God to call him, aged 97. John Durdin
died aged 96 years. Alexander Durdin died 20 September, 1807, aged 95 years.”
Durdin of Midleton & Cranmore House, Carlow
Thomas Grade Durdin - details to be determined. Alexander Warham Durdin married his brother Thomas Grade Durdin, 28th February 1844, St Peter's, Dublin.
St. George’s Colegate,
The ‘History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk’, 1851, has the following passage demonstrating that Rev Alexander
Warham Durdin born Midleton circa 1811 (Not confirmed), son of Robert Atkin, an Infantry Captain, studied and qualified
at Trinity College, Dublin, before returned to his ancestral home parish as the incumbent. He married, 7th October 1847, Lydia, daughter
of Solicitor Robert Pritcher, at St Margaret’s, Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
“St. George’s Colegate, a large handsome gothic structure, rebuilt at different periods, has a lofty
tower in which is a clock, and three bells. The interior is nicely fitted up, and there is a good
organ. In the chancel is a fine alter tomb to Robert Jannis, a great benefactor to this church and the
city; and near it is a beautiful mural monument to John Herring, Esq. The window over the communion table
is beautifully adorned with stained glass. The churches of St. Margaret-at-Colegate and St. Olave, in
Cherry-lane, were taken down and their cures consolidated with St. George’s; the former in 1349, and the
latter in 1546. The benefice is a perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at £98, and augmented from 1736 to 1792
with £1,000 Queen Anne’s bounty. The dean and chapter are patrons; and the Rev. Alexander W. Durdin, incumbent.”
He died as Rector of Threxton, Norfolk, 18th August 1889, and was buried in his family vault.