St David's Churh of Ireland
Former Church of Ireland Parish Church
Like St Mary’s Parish Church, St David’s replaced an earlier church, but unlike St Mary’s, this does not occupy
the same location. The previous church abutted the old Franciscan Monastery Belfry, as may be clearly seen by
the alongside OSI map circa 1840s highlighting the location of the two parish churches.
Church, referring to the so-called ‘Established Church’ as defined by the 1801 Act of Union. Whereas, the Catholic parishes
are always referred to as Chapel.
Samuel Lewis’ Topographical Survey of Ireland, 1837, confirms same;
".... The Church, a small but venerable structure, was repaired and much improved in 1835, by grant of £144.8. from the
"…. Nearby adjoining the village are the ruins of a Franciscan Abbey, founded and endowed by the Barry Family:
one of its towers still serves as a steeple for the present parish church…."
Then, ten years later, the Valuation Field Book,
26th November 1847, similarly confirms this. More importantly, it identifies the locations of both parishe churches
within section 55 of the village as; plot 9, St Mary’s, and plot 10 as St David’s. These are later to be found on the Griffith
Valuation of 1852.
New Parish Church