Standish Barry of Leamlara
Garrett Standish Barry
John Burke’s ‘A genealogical and Heraldic History of Landed Gentry’ 1834, tells us that Garrett Barry resided at Leamlara
since the Anglo-Norman times of Henry II, and that;
“The Christian name Garrett (Gerard or Gerald), so prevalent in this and every other branch of the Barry’s, is derived
from the celebrated Giraldus Cambrensis, or Gerald (Barry), of Wales, who, in 1185, accompanied Prince John, afterwards
King of England, as his secretary, to Ireland, where his nephews permanently established themselves…”
Elsewhere under the heading 'Barry of Leamlara' he observes;
“Garret Barry Esq. of Leamlary, or Leamlara, who obtained from Charles II. A confirmatory grant of Leamlary, in consideration
of £10. Compensation money, by a deed (in the possession of Mr. Barry) in the 36th year of that sovereign’s reign…”
National Folklore Collection
The following is an account written by John Joe Barry of Clash, 1939, telling us the story of his journey to school at
Leamlara. This is only one of a series of archival material in relation to Carrigtwohill held by the National Folklore
Collection (NFC), Volume 0387, Page 091 & 92.
From the same collection is the story of the 'Tithe War' where Garrett Standish Barry with his friend Fergus
O’Connor, both Liberal MPs stood in defence of their tenant farmers, and neighbours. That battle took place in Bartlemy
north of Lisgoold on the way to Rathcormack, where there is today a commemorative plaque on the crossroads at Bartlemy.
First Catholic Member of Parliament
The Convert Rolls recorded those who converted to the so-called established faith. Whereas the Catholic Qualification Rolls
of the Penal Laws required Roman Catholics to take an oath of allegiance to the Crown in order to avail of relaxations of
the Laws through various Acts of Parliament. These were predominantly prosperous were landowners and merchants who had no
intention of denouncing their faith.
“At an adjournment of a General Sessions of the peace held at the Kings Old Castle the 15 Febry 1794”, Barry Standish of
Leamlara, Esq., took the oath.
Standish Barry who married Margaret Roche in July 1787, had six children; one of whom was Garrett Standish Barry (1788 –1864),
grandson of Garret & Mary Anne Hussey of Leamlara, succeeded his father, in April 1823, was to inherit the family estate.
Educated at Trinity College, Dublin, Garrett Standish Barry J.P. & D.L., in 1811 he was called to the Bar.
From at least 1825 Garrett Standish Barry was Chairman of the Catholic Association, and Stephen Coppinger as Secretary.
Garrett Standish was made High Sheriff of county Cork in 1830, then Justice of the Peace and Deputy Lieutenant for
the county. Two years later, he was elected Liberal Member of Parliament for County Cork 1832. The Clonmel Herald, 5th
December 1832, carried a single paragraph in relation to Garret Standish Barry’s election;
Mr O’Connell (Daniel) in a letter to Mr Thomas S Coppinger (of Midleton), recommends Fergus O’Connor, and Garrett
Standish Barry Esq., for the representation of the county of Cork, before any other candidates now in the field.
29th Nov 1832
1st January 1833
He reluctantly retired 12th July 1841, proposing his friend the 'liberator' , Daniel O’Connell who had recently lost his Dublin seat. Garrett was the first Catholic Member of Parliament to be elected for Cork following the
Act of Catholic Emancipation of 1829.
In 1851 the property was put on the market for sale, by Order of the “Court of the Commissioners for sale of Encumbered
Estates in Ireland”. Then in May 1852, the Leamlara was again up for sale by same order, with total property amounting
to over 2,500 acres in the barony of Barrymore. which was eventually bought by his sister, Penelope, when Garrett became
financially embarrassed. This sale did not include Leamlara House, and the grounds it stood on.
At the time of Griffith's Valuation, it attracted a rateable value of £36, and held by Penelope Barry in fee.
Garrett Standish Barry died, 26th December 1864, without issue and was succeeded in the estate by his younger
brother, Henry Standish, whose son and heir, Charles Standish, married in 1869 the Hon. Margaret Mary, daughter of Lieut-Colonel
the Hon. Arthur Francis Southwell, and sister of the 4th Viscount Southwell, K.P..
The house was demolished in 1966.