Families of Carrigtwohill
Philip de Barry of Manorbier Castle, Pembrokeshire & Barryscourt
It is generally accepted, William de Barry of Manorbier Castle, Pembrokeshire, Wales, was
the ancestor of the family who settled in Cork, and head of what was later to become the
Barony of Barrymore (or cantred, a subdivision of the county Lordships of Ireland during
the Norman era). William de Barry married Angereth, daughter of Nesta and sister of Robert
FitzStephen. By her they four sons; Robert, Philip, Walter, and Gerald who assumed the Latin
form of his name, Giraldus Cambrenis (Gerald de Barry).
Robert de Barry accompanied his uncle FitzStephen to Ireland, and was wounded at the siege
of Wexford. Then, in 1185, he was killed at the taking of Lismore, Waterford. The same year his
brother Philip arrived to assist his uncle, and Raymond le Gros, to recover the lands of Killede,
Olethan, and Muscraighe-dunegan, captured by Ralph FitzStephen, son of Robert. Robert FitzStephen
who had been granted these lands by Royal Charter of Henry II, ceded them to the Philip de Barry,
upon which he built many castles. This donation was confirmed to William, son of Philip, by a grant
of King John, bearing date, 24th February 1206. (8 King John – in the 8th Year
of his reign).
By a Royal Charter of King John's short reign (1199-1216) Philip de Barry increased his
possessions in Cork, becoming Lord of Castlelyons, Buttevant, and Barry’s Court.
Within the Calendar of Documents, 1171-1252, relating to Ireland, preserved in the then Public Records
Office, London (now Kew), is recorded that on the 8th November 1207, item 340 page 51;
“Confirmation to William de Barry of the gift made by Robert Fitz Stephen to Philip de Barry,
William’s father, of 3 cantreds in his land of Corcaia, namely, Olethan, Muscherie, and Dunegan,
and of the cantred of Killede; [to hold] by the service of 10 knights, as is witnessed by
Robert’s charters. Witnesses; J. Bishop Norwich, David Bishop of Waterford, Simon, Bishop of
Meath, Meyler Fitz Henry, justiciary of Ireland, John Marshall, Philip de Prendigast, David
de Rupe, Ranulph Earl of Chester, Saier Earl of Winchester, Robert de Vipont, H. de Nevill’,
Geoffrey de Nevill’. Woodstock. [Chart., 9 John, m. 5. - in the 9th year of his reign]”
The ancient ‘cantred of Olethan’ (or Ivelhaven) mentioned above, the seat of the O’Lehan is
recognised today as Castlelyons.
Next, twenty-two years later in 1229, Philip de Barry endowed the Augustinian Canon Regular at
Ballybeg he dedicated to St Thomas.
Barryscourt Under Siege