Skip Navigation Links

Projects & Events

Celebrating Cork Past Exhibition

Our first attendance

L-R: Jim Barry (Chair), André Saubolle (Secretary), Richard Cooke (Coordinator - Cork City Council)

The annual Celebrating Cork Past Exhibition is a joint project sponsored by both City and County Councils, with the Lyon’s Club, held at Cork’s City Hall.

Welcomed by coordinator, Richard Cooke the previous day, we were fortunate to have been able to setup our stall in a prime location directly opposite the main entrance, so in an ideal position to be the first to welcome visitors to the exhibition the following day. Richard was a frequent visitor to our exhibits on the day. Like so many others he was particularly interested in our de Barra items.

Despite the threat of miserable weather forecasted, our first attendance at the City Hall’s Exhibition, for us was a roaring success.

Our Exhibits

We greeted many friends of Carrigtwohill from home and some of overseas, who were extremely interested in discussing our exhibits, including the Lord Mayor of Cork, who signed our Visitor's book.

It must be said that the feature attraction was Dáibhí de Barra's manuscript with transcribed poem used as a handout for the joint unveiling of commemorative plaque ceremony and Paul Doherty’s returning manuscript to the village community earlier this year, gained the most interest. Miriam’s O'Donovan's presentation about his prayer book found at the Melbourne State Library, and the story of the Rossmore Tithe wars as reported by de Darra coming a close second. These two items were a perfect marriage.

The next item of significant interest was the planned presentation marking coming 100th anniversary of the taking of Carrigtwohill R.I.C. Barracks, 3rd January 1820, to be given by one of our members, John (Bishop) O’Mahony.

Also on display was a brief outline history of Mother Magdalen Taylor, founder of the Poor Servants of the Mother of God whose order was established at Carrigtwohill, and is soon to be named Saint. In addition, was the brief outline history of Father Richard Seymour who invited Mother Magdalen to the village in 1874.

Photo Gallery

 
All Material © 2020